Project TRUST is a self-contained, affective-based, educational program for at-risk students dedicated to:
- Rekindling hope and skills in our students.
- Modifying social skills and behavior to levels appropriate for success in returning to traditional academic settings, or for long term tenure within the Project Trust community.
- Remediating compensatory educational needs.
- Providing transitional planning.
- Developing students into contributing citizens of our community.
Our quality staff is committed to working in partnership with parents and community, utilizing restorative approaches to meet the challenges our students face.
Project TRUST’S academic program features small classes and individualized studies by Apex Learning on-line digital curriculum.
- One to one student/teacher conferencing.
- Individualized instruction tailored to meet students’ graduation needs.
- Direct instruction incorporating multimedia, along with instructional text.
- Ability to address different learning styles/ability levels.
- Formative assessments that help students gauge their understanding and improve performance.
- Summative assessments that chart progress and skill development.
It is inherent within the program philosophy that each student is given every opportunity to mainstream and integrate into the regular classroom setting. Vocational programming and work study opportunities are major considerations for the student.
Project TRUST utilizes a Restorative Practices approach to reduce, curb and resolve conflict and challenging behavior.
Restorative Practices emphasizes personal growth and change, balanced with structure and accountability. Students act as a micro-community of support for each other, and are not only accountable for their own behavior, but are responsible for confronting the impact their behavior has had on others.
Advantages of Restorative Practices include:
- A safer and more caring environment.
- A more effective teaching and learning environment.
- A reduction in interpersonal conflicts.
- A greater sense of connectedness to the community.
- A reduction of suspensions and permanent exclusions.
- An ability to assist students and families with recurring issues.
- Improved communication between students, families and staff.
The presence of a counselor on-site also allows for supportive counseling sessions as well as weekly thematic group interactions.