Working Papers

During the summer, please follow this process:

Parents/students can pick up working papers from the 9/10 or 11/12 Reception Areas between the hours of 8:00-11:00 AM, Monday-Thursday.

Students who need to process working papers must call Nancy Middleton at 908-284-7225 to make an appointment. Appointments can be made between the hours of 8:00-11:00 AM, Monday-Thursday.

Getting your first job is a major step ... however, the process of filling out the required form for that job can be a major challenge! Here is some information that can help; additional information is available on the NJ Department of Labor's NJ State Child Labor Laws & Regulations website.

  • During the school year, completed sets of working papers are processed daily during Unit Lunch (10:26 AM - 11:11 AM) in the IMC (summer hours are Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM). Approved working papers may be picked up the following day.
  • The minimum age for a child to get working papers is 14 years old.
  • Children under 14 years of age may obtain working papers only if they will be working on a farm or delivering newspapers.
  • The minimum wage is $8.60/hour for 2018.
  • Student volunteers (no pay involved) do not need working papers.
  • If a Student ...
  • Lives in NJ, but works in a different state, working papers must be obtained from that state.
  • Worked at a summer camp or pool the previous summer, there is no need to re-apply for the same position. Students who are re-hired for seasonal work do not need to re-file working papers.
  • Lives in NJ and will be working at the NJ shore, he/she will get working papers issued from the NJ school district where he/she will be working (Child Labor Law 34:2-21.13).
  • Lives in another state but wishes to work in NJ, she/he must obtain working papers from the local NJ school district (where the employer is located).
  • Lives in another state and the employer is in NJ and the work is done by email, the student gets working papers from NJ (school district where employer is located) and also from home state (covered by both states).
  • Is not taking classes at HCRHS, but is enrolled in a correspondence class, the principal from the last school attended must sign the form. Pick up working papers in the House Offices, the IMC or from the receptionists. A detailed set of instructions, including a sample form, is provided with each new set of working papers. The process used for completing the working papers differs slightly for students who are not enrolled at HCRHS as opposed to those who are. Please follow the instructions carefully!