Academic Information & Procedures


Initial course level placement is based on teacher recommendation, department supervisor recommendation and/or performance in prerequisite courses or placement exams. We encourage students to challenge themselves and recognize that “academic rigor” is one of the key determinants to learning. Students are also encouraged to evaluate the demands of their entire schedule when considering courses. Students should contemplate the risk involved when choosing courses that build upon previous courses and recognize that prior performance impacts the ability to achieve at the same level in subsequent courses. In addition, please understand that once a student has selected this course, his/her ability to make a subsequent level change is dependent upon seat availability. Please refer to the Course Changes section for level changes, course drop and/or withdrawal deadlines.


There are two levels of courses utilized for the purpose of calculating weighted grade point average:

  1. Weighted courses are any course with an AP (Advanced Placement courses) or HNS (Honors courses) label. HCRHS has a grading scale that uses an increased grade point weight for Honors and Advanced Placement courses. For HNS courses, grade point equivalents increase 0.5. For AP courses, grade point equivalents increase 1.0. . For example: Standard "B" = 3.0, HNS "B" = 3.5, AP "B" = 4.0. Students must take the accompanying AP Exam to earn AP weight, or only Honors weight will be earned (gained).
  2. Unweighted courses are any courses not designated AP or HNS.

Both weighted and unweighted grade point averages (WGPA and GPA) are calculated. Only the final grade achieved in each course is used to compute GPA and WGPA. Grades of P/F (Pass/Fail), W, WP or WF (Withdrawal) are not included in the GPA calculation. Cumulative GPA and WGPA for final course grades are tabulated and posted on student report cards and the permanent record card at the conclusion of each semester.


Please click to view, download and print:

HCRHS Grading Scale


A change in course level may occur when a course does not match the student’s academic skills level. All level changes MUST be made in consultation with the counselor, teacher, department supervisor and parent(s). A signed form will be required.

Course level change deadline: If the deadline falls on a weekend, school holiday or snow day the deadline will be moved to the next scheduled school day.

The deadline for academic level changes is November 1st.

There must be an open seat in the course level the student is changing into in order for the change to be made. Maintaining acceptable class size will be a priority. Limit one level change per subject, per year. The student is responsible for missed work, and grades will follow the student when they make a level change.


A course drop may occur when a student no longer wishes to continue in a scheduled course. No record of a course drop shall appear on the student’s permanent transcript as long as the course is dropped by the deadlines outlined below.

Course drop deadline: If the deadline falls on a weekend, school holiday or snow day the deadline will be moved to the next scheduled school day.

  • 2.5 Credit Courses: Semester 1 - September 15; Semester 2 - February 15
  • 5.0 Credit Courses: November 1
  • 7.5 Credit Courses: November 1

All course drops MUST be made in consultation with the counselor, teacher, parent(s), and department supervisor when appropriate. We are unable to accommodate requests for schedule changes related to teacher, period or convenience/preferential changes. If academically driven changes are necessary, a course drop form must be completed.

If the course being dropped is a 2.5 credit course, a 2.5 credit course that is in progress cannot be added. Students dropping a 2.5 credit course will be scheduled for Study Hall for the remainder of the semester.

If the course being dropped is a 5 credit course students will be scheduled for a study hall for the remainder of Semester 1. Students will be allowed to select a Semester 2, 2.5 credit course, that has an available seat in the open block created by the drop.

If the course being dropped is a 7.5 credit course students will be scheduled for a study hall for the remainder of the semester and will be allowed to select a Semester 2, 2.5 credit course, that has an available seat in the open block created by the drop.

Seniors requesting to drop a course will be required to contact the colleges to which they have applied to verify that dropping the course will not have an impact on admissions.


A course withdrawal occurs when a student drops a course, after the Course Changes – Drop a Course deadline. A student who elects to withdraw from a course after the course drop deadline will be removed from the class roster; however a record of WP or WF will be recorded and maintained on the student's permanent transcript. Students withdrawing from a course will be scheduled for study hall for the remainder of the school year.

A signed course drop form will be required. This form must be signed by the student, parent(s), counselor, teacher, and department supervisor. The teacher will indicate the appropriate transcript record based on the student progress at the time of withdrawal from the course.

Course Withdrawal Deadline: If the deadline falls on a weekend, school holiday or snow day the deadline will be moved to the next scheduled school day.

  • 2.5 Credit Courses: Semester 1 - November 15; Semester 2 - April 15
  • 5.0 Credit Courses: Last day of Semester 1
  • 7.5 Credit Courses: December 15

A student may not withdraw from a course once half of the course sessions have occurred.If the course is not dropped by the above deadline the student must remain in the course until its conclusion. Requests for an exception to this policy will be viewed and determined on an individual basis. Proof of extenuating circumstances must be provided for requests to be considered.

Seniors requesting to withdraw from a course will be required to contact the colleges to which they have applied to verify that withdrawing from the course will not have an impact on admissions.


Hunterdon Central Regional High School provides an opportunity for students in grades 9-12 to pursue coursework outside of the parameters of the normal HCRHS curriculum. All students planning pursuit of alternate credit must meet with their Counselor and the subject area Supervisor to discuss goals before submitting the completed application. Students can explore this option to meet a graduation requirement, advance an academic level, to pursue college course work and/or to explore opportunities not available at HCRHS. More information on program guidelines, application process and deadlines can be found on the Option II Webpage.

Students who have taken course work outside of HCRHS and have obtained credit to be listed on the HCRHS transcript, may not take the HCRHS equivalent course for credit. Additionally, graduation credit requirements may only be met by courses taken in grades 9-12. High school level courses taken prior to grade 9 are not included in GPA or credits earned, nor are these listed on the high school transcript. Grade 9 begins upon graduation from grade 8.


Any student attending Hunterdon Central Regional High School who received a final failing grade during the regular school year receives ZERO credits towards graduation for that course. Students who need the course, or want to earn the credits lost due to failing a course during the regular school year, may opt to:

  • Repeat the course during a future regular school year.
  • Enroll in an on-line or summer school program approved by HCRHS.

Students who repeat the HCRHS course during a future regular school year will receive the grade earned in the repeated course. The appropriate credits will be awarded to those who successfully complete the course work, and the repeated course will be counted in GPAs. The original failing grade will be maintained on students' permanent records and will be calculated into GPAs.

Students who enroll in an online or summer program must be enrolled for a minimum of 60 hours for a five-credit review course (a course originally failed). A pass/fail grade will be recorded, resulting in no adjustment to students' GPAs. The appropriate credits will be awarded to those who successfully complete the course work. The original failing grade will be maintained on students' permanent records and will be calculated into GPAs. Students may receive high school credit only for those courses taken at accredited summer programs that meet NJ State Department. of Education guidelines and are approved by HCRHS. The same course, if passed, may be taken for credit only once.


Transfer students new to HCRHS and current students with proof of completion of approved coursework taken outside of HCRHS will have the courses, grades, and credits from said school infused into their HCRHS permanent record. This infusion will be accomplished by the HCRHS school counselor subject to the approval of the Supervisor of Counseling Services.

If course work is from a transfer school, or from an approved and accredited outside institution, the information provided for input into student’s HCRHS course histories must be from the school’s official transcript. A notation as to where the previous course work was completed, and/or how the coursework was taken (e.g. Independent Study, Distance Learning), will become a part of official HCRHS transcripts.

Counseling Services will award HCRHS credit for previous course work only when the previous school’s official transcript indicates achievement of said credit. Course grade and credit will be translated from the students’ previous system into the appropriate HCRHS grading system.

Credit example: If the previous school awarded 1.00 credit for passing a “full year” course meeting every day for the entire year, we would convert 1.00 credit to 5.00 credits. Partial credit for “full year” courses will not be awarded unless the previous school awarded such credit and HCRHS could not provide continuation of program.

Approved transfer course work will count toward GPA or WGPA. HCRHS shall consider as weighted only those courses taken at other schools when the corresponding HCRHS course is weighted.

High school level courses, taken prior to grade 9, may be used to meet prerequisites or advancement in a particular subject area.However, because graduation credit requirements may only be met by courses taken in grades 9-12, high school level courses taken prior to grade 9 are not included in GPA or credits earned, nor are they listed on the high school transcript. Grade 9 begins upon graduation from grade 8.


Option II, Remediation and Transfer courses will be reflected on the HCRHS student transcript as follows:

  1. Name of course.
  2. Institution, school, college, university and/or situation, where, and/or how, the coursework was taken.
  3. Month and year when course was completed.
  4. Grade issued by the institution (HCRHS equivalent); or grade issued by certified staff member under the guidelines established by Option II provisions. Credit issued by institution (at a maximum rate of 35 hours per credit); or credit awarded by certified staff member under the guidelines established by Option II provisions, or as certified by the principal under 6A:8-5.1(a) 1.ii.
  5. Approved transfer coursework assigned a grade will count towards WGPA or GPA. Outside course work will be Pass/Fail and will not count towards WGPA or GPA. Option II, summer school or un-graded courses will be Pass/Fail and will not count towards WGPA or GPA.
  6. No grade will appear on the transcript until an official transcript, or documentation from a certified staff member, is received. If no documentation is received a “W” will be posted on the HCRHS permanent record (transcript) as of the date grades are submitted for the next marking period.

Other grading designations may apply for Loss of Credit (LC) due to excessive absences, Incompletes (I) for temporary extensions on course completion or Withdrawals (W, WP, WF) as described in the Course Change section of the Program of Studies


Hunterdon Central offers its students a rigorous, comprehensive curriculum in a challenging academic environment. The majority of our students respond by earning exceptional grades. We believe that the achievements and abilities of our students can not be represented by a single statistic, but rather by a combination of courses selected, grades earned, and scores achieved on SAT, ACT, and AP tests. In accordance with NJSA 18A:71B-85.5, class rank information may be released as it pertains to mandatory requirements for scholarship eligibility. Class rank information will be released directly to the NJ Higher Education Student Assistance Authority, or other similar scholarship programs. This internal class rank shall be kept confidential and in accordance with HCRHS District policy will only be released to the requesting scholarship provider or service academy.


AP courses are available in English, Fine Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and World Language. AP courses are college level courses offered in the high school for students interested in pursuing a thorough, comprehensive program of study and research. The curriculum for all AP courses is determined the College Board. AP courses are the most rigorous courses offered and allow students to challenge themselves academically and earn college credit with a successful exam score. Students who elect these courses are expected to take the accompanying Advanced Placement examination, given in May.

Students who take the AP Exam will receive full AP weight for that course; otherwise, Honors weight will apply. There is a cost for each individual AP exam. The College Board, State of New Jersey, and Hunterdon Central Regional High School all offer programs to offset costs. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact the Hunterdon Central Testing Coordinator.



Hunterdon Central offers three courses for college credit as part of the Fairleigh Dickinson University Middle College Program. This program provides opportunities for students in challenging courses at over 30 high schools in NJ, with the opportunity to simultaneously earn high school and college credit in selected programs of study. FDU provides resources and learning opportunities via campus activities and distance learning to complete the teaching of approved courses at NJ high schools participating in the program. The Middle College Program courses are taught by Hunterdon Central faculty who have been approved by FDU as co-adjutant college faculty, and the courses have been approved by the FDU college faculty for the purposes of granting undergraduate credit.

Students who want to enroll in the HCRHS-FDU Middle College Program may choose from the following courses in the Social Studies Department:

  • Social Studies #139 -Honors Intro to Western Philosophy
  • Social Studies #147 Honors Advanced Sociology
  • Social Studies #149 – Advanced Placement Psychology

To enroll in the HCRHS-FDU Middle College Program, students must pay a course registration fee and complete a course application. The payment and course application are processed by the social studies supervisor at HCRHS. Students enrolled in the Middle College Program are expected to meet all course requirements and school rules as set by the HCRHS Board of Education, and adhere to all rules and regulations governing the Middle College Program as stipulated by Fairleigh Dickinson University. Course withdrawals and refunds are governed by the FDU academic calendar for students enrolled in the Middle College Program. Students enrolled in the Middle College Program receive grade reports and transcripts from FDU, and have library privileges at all FDU campus libraries.

Students enrolled in Advanced Placement courses within the Middle College Program are strongly encouraged to take the AP examinations. Colleges who grant transfer credit to FDU Middle College Program students have indicated that the AP examination is a standard expectation when decisions are made concerning placement in intermediate or advanced level undergraduate courses. The final decision concerning enrollment of HCRHS students in the Middle College program rests with the administration of Hunterdon Central Regional High School, who use the criteria of "acting in the student's best interest" when recommending students for participation in this program.


Honors German 4 and/or AP German students may elect to participate in the Seton Hall University Project Acceleration, and choose the following courses:

  • World Language #2143 – Honors German 4
  • World Language #273 – AP German Literature & Culture

Students who maintain a minimum average of 80 can receive credits from Seton Hall University, in addition to the credit they receive from HCRHS. HCRHS awards five credits towards graduation with a passing grade of 65 or better. There is a fee associated with participation in Project Acceleration. Information and deadlines will be provided to eligible students. A list of other colleges and universities who will accept transfer credit from Seton Hall University can be obtained from Mrs. Glowacki or the Counseling Services Office along with the registration form.


The Raritan Valley Community College/Mercer County Community College Tech Prep Program links high school courses to community college courses and leads to an associate degree. Tech Prep enables students to begin training for professional and technical fields while still in high school. Students can develop entry-level job skills and earn college credits in their high school program. Hunterdon Central Regional High School has developed the Tech Prep Initiative with both Raritan Valley Community College and Mercer County Community College. Students can earn college credit at the colleges listed above by enrolling in one or more of these courses and fulfilling the requirements of the college. Courses which offer the Tech Prep option are listed below:

  • Family & Consumer Science #863 - Child Development
  • Family & Consumer Science #874 - Early Childhood Education

Students should talk to the course teacher or the department supervisor for more information on the details of this program.


Students who sign up for the following courses, and meet the requirements outlined in the course description listed in the subject area description, are eligible to earn college credits from Raritan Valley Community College:

  • Science #470 - Anatomy & Physiology
  • English #085 - College English-CEP
  • Math #355 – Number Systems
  • A course fee payable to RVCC is required for students taking the course for college credit. Students should read the description for the courses in the Program of Studies Academic sections and speak to the course teacher or the department supervisor for more information on the details of this program.


    Students and parents can view daily course progress which is posted in the “Academics” tab of the HCRHS web-based portal called Aspen.

    Students and parents can utilize their assigned login information to view student progress throughout the school year. Along with daily progress, mid-year and final course grades will be posted for viewing. Although grades should not be regarded as ends in themselves, they do reflect how well students are progressing during the year.

    Parents/guardians and students are urged to log into Aspen to view student progress weekly. If parents/guardians have questions concerning the academic progress of the student or questions concerning the student’s overall adjustment to the school, they have several options:

    1. Contact the classroom teacher.
    2. Contact the appropriate counselor.
    3. Contact the appropriate department supervisor. Only the final grade for each course appears on the student’s permanent transcript.

    Click to access: Contact Information.


    1) A grade of Incomplete (I) will be given only when there is just cause, e.g., work missing due to extended absence or illness. Otherwise, students are expected to submit work on time. While it is permissible to accept work that is late, students with short term absences are expected to speak with their teacher to establish an appropriate time frame for completing missed work.

    2) Unless there are extenuating circumstances, students with extended absences are expected to resolve incompletes no later than 10 days from the end of the first semester and 10 days from the end of the school year. Unresolved “I’s” will be automatically turned into a grade of “F” after the 10 day period.If an extension is sought, a request must go through the subject supervisor.

    3) Students must be informed by the last day of the semester if they will receive an incomplete. At that time, students will be made aware of the ten-day requirement.Seniors: Please be aware Incomplete grades can work to the student’s detriment when applying for college admissions.


    To receive an HCRHS Diploma, all HCRHS students must achieve a passing score on any required New Jersey State assessment(s) or other designated, substitute assessment(s) approved by the New Jersey Department of Education. Students who perform below statewide standards shall be provided with a comprehensive individualized assessment as specified in N.J.A.C. 6:8-3.4. On the basis of assessment students shall be provided with the services needed to remedy those identified deficiencies, which shall include but not be limited to the development and implementation of an individual student improvement plan.

    In addition, the College Board national testing program includes the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT) and the Scholastic Aptitude Tests (SAT I and SAT II). Each is administered on annually scheduled Saturdays. Students taking the SAT I and SAT II can register here. Students considering the ACT can register here. PSAT/NMSQT fees and registration are processed by the high school.

    The Counseling Services Department has prepared a Frequently Asked Questions on College Testing Webpage that can provide answers to many questions on these tests. Please click to access the College Testing FAQ Webpage.

    The Counseling Services Department will not submit PSAT, SAT I or SAT II scores with the student transcript. Test scores must be sent to colleges directly from the College Board. Instructions can be found here. In addition to State and district standardized assessments, other evaluations are used to determine student proficiency in core curriculum content areas. These assessments may identify students who are not yet proficient in designated curricular areas. Also, the use of multiple indicators of a student’s performance validates the student’s need for additional assistance.


    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age ("eligible students") certain rights with respect to the student's education records. These rights are:

    1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the School receives a request for access. Parents or eligible students should submit to the Principal or counseling services secretary a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. An HCRHS school official will make arrangements for access and notify the parent or eligible student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
    2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the parent or eligible student believes are inaccurate. Parents or eligible students may ask HCRHS to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the Principal or Supervisor of Counseling Services, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If HCRHS decides not to amend the record as requested by the parent or eligible student, HCRHS will notify the parent or eligible student of the decision and advise them of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the parent or eligible student when notified of the right to a hearing.
    3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the School as an administrator, supervisor, instructor, or support staff member (including health or medical staff and law enforcement unit personnel); a person serving on the School Board; a person or company with whom the School has contracted to perform a special task (such as an attorney, auditor, medical consultant, or therapist); or a parent or student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, HCRHS will disclose education records without consent to officials of another school district in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
    4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by HCRHS to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The Office that administers FERPA requirements is the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC, 20202-5901. Upon graduation or permanent departure of pupil from the district, the parent or adult pupil is hereby notified that a copy of the entire record is available upon request. Once information is no longer necessary to provide educational services to the pupil, that information will be destroyed, unless a request is received by July 15th of the year of departure. A permanent transcript and attendance record will be kept in perpetuity.


    Grades: 9-12

    Students with an interest in learning the functions of a specific HCRHS department can apply to become a Student Assistant or Technology Intern. This is an alternate educational program which permits students to engage in volunteer work for academic credit. Grading is on a pass-fail basis. The program will help HCRHS students acquire employability and interpersonal workplace skills. Students approved to be a “Student Assistant” will be available to assist with any school related task that does not involve confidential records or information. They will perform a variety of general and specific office and support functions of a responsible nature centering on activities of their assigned department. Responsibilities are frequently public in nature and the Student Assistant will learn interpersonal skills, and be able to interact with staff, public, and external constituents in a prompt and professional manner. Interested students can apply to become a student assistant only in lieu of taking a study hall. Students can become departmental assistants only with the written permission of a counselor and the administrator in charge.

    PEER MENTOR – 2.5 CREDITS (Alternative Credit Pathway Application)
    Grades: 10-12

    The Peer Mentor course offers students the opportunity to serve as peer supports for students with disabilities by serving as mentors in unit lunch, activity clubs, extra curricular activities and, where possible, common academic or elective courses.Students will learn about various disabilities, adaptations, accommodations and modifications for both physical and intellectual disabilities as well as barrier free environments.The course goal is to enhance the participation of students with and without disabilities as friends and members of the school community, to diminish stereotypes and negative perceptions of disabilities and to encourage opportunities for students with disabilities to interact with non-disabled peers.The course is an Alternate Credit Pathway experience; students will be required to meet with instructors during unit lunch periods, once a week for 8 weeks at the start of the school year (Sept-Oct), and participate in online instruction. Click here for information on enrolling in an Alternate Credit Pathway course. This course may be repeated.


    Hunterdon Central will offer courses for credit during the summer of 2016. More information, a list of courses and a schedule of fees will be available from Counseling Services and posted on the website, as soon as the information is available.

    Students will be able to demonstrate interest in registering for a summer course during online scheduling. Students should be aware of the pre-requisite courses that are required when selecting courses.

    Please click to view a list of 2016-2017 Proposed Summer Institute Courses.