The primary goal of the English Department is to ensure that every student receives the best English education every year that he/she attends Hunterdon Central. To accomplish this goal, the department is dedicated to providing a program that:
- Encourages life-long learners, who will be able to participate effectively as members of the global community.
- Meets the National and State Core Curriculum Content Standards.
- Promotes articulate communicators who use both oral and written language effectively.
- Develops critical and analytical readers and researchers.
- Fosters students' self-esteem, motivation, character, and respect for individual, cultural, religious and racial differences.
- Develops students’ social, emotional, and decision-making skills through reading, writing, listening, speaking, and critical viewing activities and experiences.
- Promotes responsibility and problem-solving skills.
- Promotes creativity and innovation.
- Makes the study of literature and language accessible to all students.
- Provides students with a broad range of literature that represents a variety of cultures.
- Uses technology as a key tool to support and enhance learning.
The English department believes that establishing partnerships with students’ parents/guardians and with the community is essential to the success of every student and to the fulfillment of each student’s educational plan.